Ohmygosh! I’m so excited to have been nominated for a Liebster Award by Rood On Food. Many thanks to Raj–be sure to check out his delicious vegan and gluten free recipes and reviews.
I love awards! Who doesn’t? This one comes with some rules though. And I’m not very good at following rules. So this is my attempt at paying the love forward, even if it involves some artistic license.
The “rules:” (Yep, we’ll put those in quotes)
Post 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions made by the person who nominated you.
Create 11 questions for the bloggers you pass the award to. (These are supposed to be bloggers with less than 200 followers, although some sources say less than 3000. How about adding to this list blogs-that-you-think-have-less-than-either-of-those-numbers-of-followers-but-you-can’t-be-sure-because-they-don’t-list-it-anywhere-on-their-blog? I like this minor change to the rule).
Choose 11 bloggers to pass the award to and mention them in your post. (Some sources say 5, which I opted for since I have to go teach a cooking class tonight).
Go to their blogs and let them know that they have been nominated.
So here goes:
11 Random Facts About Me
1) I majored in costume design; my most extravagant design yet was a chandelier for which I won $350.
2) I lived in Italy for three months, eating my way through the country and learning how to live pretty much the opposite of the way we live here. And it was grand.
3) I don’t believe in cellphones at the dinner table.
4) I’ve always known I wasn’t having any kids, but I had no idea that my 8-year-old stepdaughter (to be) would make me fall in love with her.
5) I order my food “spicy like you hate me” and usually, its still not spicy enough.
6) I make my own cheese.
7) As a recovering bartender, people ask me all the time about the best place to get a really unusual and delicious cocktail. My response is always the same—my house. Sorry, but why pay $15 for something I can do for $3?
8) I got Keanu Reeves so drunk on Pinot Noir that he waltzed through the restaurant with a coworker.
9) I once broke into a hotel in St. Martin because it was Carnival and the proprietor had forgotten my arrival and taken to the streets to party. I also broke into my convent in Rome because I didn’t want to wake the nuns.
10) I’m originally from Redlands, which is home to the best oranges you’ll ever eat.
11) My cat has no nerve endings in her tail, which makes her a pretty awesome party trick. Don’t worry, no animals were harmed in the testing of this theory.
Questions From RoodonFood for TheDeliciousThings:
1) What is your absolute favorite meal?
Anything with Mexican flavors. We made some blackened fish tacos the other night with two homemade salsas and fresh guac and I’ve been dreaming about them ever since.
2) What is your favorite spice?
Cardamom—it reminds me of spicy lavender, and it goes aMAZingly well with chocolate.
3) What place would you most like to visit?
New Orleans—a Halloween trip chalk full of Cajun food and haunted hotels is next up on the agenda.
4) What do you do to relax?
I’m not sure what that word means.
5) Where do you live and what is the coolest place there?
I live in Mar Vista (Los Angeles) and the coolest place here is the neighboring city of Venice with its bohemian vibe and eccentric “performers.” Nothing beats a day of people watching on the boardwalk and it’s even better when all the artists come say hello because you used to sling them drinks in a past life.
6) What was your proudest moment?
Beating out the other competitors to score the sole copywriting position at a Fortune 500 company.
7) What is your dream job?
Getting to spend every day devoted to writing my horror novel.
8) What are your favorite TV Shows and movies?
I’ve really enjoyed American Horror Story and think Breaking Bad is the most brilliant show ever written. Favorite movies include Big Fish, American Beauty, and most recently, the Best Little Marigold Hotel.
9) What is your favorite book or author?
Stephen King—people tell me time and again that NO ONE finds writing success the way SK did. That it was the stars aligning and it won’t happen that way for any author for the rest of time. People also tell me that you can’t make a living as a writer. SK is not only amazing to read, he’s a reminder that dreams do come true.
10) What is the best recipe on your site?
One that I haven’t put up yet. I’m reworking The End of the World Cake to make it gluten and refined sugar-free, since it was originally posted before I knew gluten was the enemy. So stay tuned. In the meantime, it’s still unbelievable, and you can read about it here.
11) What super power would you most want and why?
Flight. Then I could stop just dreaming about it and take to the skies for real.
Here are the blogs I’d like to nominate:
My Questions for the Nominees:
1. Spice: 2 thumbs up? 1 up 1 down? What say you?
2. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve eaten recently (or ever)?
3. Favorite beverage?
4. What’s the best thing to do in the summertime where you live?
5. What’s your favorite place to visit?
6. Where have you never been but are simply dying to go?
7. What’s #1 on your bucket list at the moment?
8. What did you want to be when you grew up?
9. And what are you now?
10. Give us an odd fact about you that tells a lot about your personality. For example, I keep a wine opener in my glove compartment, all my purses and backpacks, and the saddlebags for my bike.
11. What’s the one food you simply cannot live without?
I look forward to your responses. In the meantime, I hope you’re doing something delicious!