For those who crave the cranberry tang on their holiday table but loathe the jiggle of Ocean Spray, this recipe is for you. It’s nice to have some healthy crunch in a sea of roasted, mashed, steamed and smashed, and spoonfuls of this on top of gooey slathers of baked Brie just might bring tears to your eyes. I often find myself sitting down with the leftovers and eating straight out of the Tupperware, something I heartily encourage you try!
As much as I’d like to lay claim to this cranberry-jalapeno relish, my dear friend Teri brought this recipe into the fold, so I get to call “mine” only because I make it every time I see fresh cranberries at the market (and sometimes dream about it at night).
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (fresh are simply marvelous!)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 large fresh jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped (don’t remove the seeds if you like it spicy)
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 blood or navel oranges, peel and pith removed, flesh separated into segments, juice reserved
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 Tbsp. maple sugar (maple syrup works too)
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Pulse cranberries in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in zest, onion, jalapeño, orange sections and juice, lime juice, ginger, maple sugar or syrup, and celery.
- Refrigerate 1 hour (up to 2 days).
- Before serving, stir in mint, cilantro and pecans.
- Enjoy a flavor circus in your mouth!
For the most delicious holiday ever, what foods have to be a part of the spread at your house ?